Table shows estimates of resident population by 5 year age band from the 2011 Census of England and Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland.
England Wales local authorities, counties and regions, plus districts of Scotland and Northern Ireland and total UK population are included.
1) For the 2011 Census, a usual resident of the UK is anyone who, on census day 2011, was in the UK and had stayed or intended to stay in the UK for a period of 12 months or more, or had a permanent UK address and was outside the UK and intended to be outside the UK for less than 12 months.
2) The age of a person is derived from their date of birth. It is their age in years on their last birthday up to and including census day 2011. Dates of birth that imply an age over 115 are treated as invalid and the person's age is imputed.
3) Council area boundaries as at 1 April 2011.
4) Scotland figures in this table may not add exactly because they have been rounded to the nearest hundred.
5) Scotland has not published data by 5 year bands above 80, so all people aged 80+ are included in the 80-84 age group.
Table qs103ew (England and Wales)
Table A1 (Scotland)
Table QS104NI (Northern Ireland)
You must be logged in to request access to this dataset.