The LAEI 2016 has been superseded. Click here for the full list of releases.
Emissions estimates of key pollutants (NOx, PM10, PM2.5 and CO2) by source type are included for the base year 2016. Emissions for previous years 2010 and 2013 have also been recalculated, using the latest data sources (emission factors, activity data, ...) and methodology.
Emissions projected forward to 2020, 2025, and 2030 will be available soon.
The area covered by the LAEI includes Greater London (the 32 London boroughs and the City of London), as well as areas outside Greater London up to the M25 motorway.
These emissions have been used to estimate ground level concentrations of key pollutants NOx, NO2, PM10 and PM2.5 across Greater London for year 2016, using an atmospheric dispersion model. Air pollutant concentration maps and associated datasets are available for download.
Due to the size of the LAEI database, datasets have been zipped and need to be downloaded in several parts.
UPDATE 03/07/19 - The concentration maps and associated data (including population and school exposure data) have been reissued following a minor issue with the previous dataset. Please read the following note for further information: Updated LAEI 2016 Concentration Maps and Associated Data - July 2019 (.PDF - 146kB).
- LAEI 2016 Methodology document (.PDF - 2.8MB)
- Regional Background Concentrations Update (.PDF - 646.3KB)
Supporting Information Key GIS geographies and road traffic flows and vehicle-kilometres for 2010, 2013 and 2016 for each vehicle type. Data are provided in Excel and GIS formats.
- Supporting Information - GIS geographies (.ZIP - 31.8MB)
- Supporting Information - Road Traffic Data - Excel (.ZIP - 211.9MB)
- Supporting Information - Road Traffic Data - GIS (.ZIP - 45.5MB)
Grid Emissions Summary This dataset includes emissions of NOx, PM10, PM2.5 and CO2 in tonnes/year for 2010, 2013 and 2016 for each source category at a 1km grid square resolution, including summary tables for London boroughs and London zones (Central / Inner / Outer London). Data are provided in Excel and GIS formats.
- Emissions - Data - Excel Files (.ZIP - 20.9MB)
- Emissions - Data - GIS Files (.ZIP - 18.1MB)
- Emissions - Summary Dashboards (.ZIP - 41 KB)
- Emissions – Data – Excel files – Other pollutants (.ZIP - 4.7 MB)
Detailed Road Transport Road transport emissions in 2010, 2013 and 2016 by vehicle type and also by pollutant. This data is presented at link level for major roads and at grid level for minor roads and cold start emissions. Data are provided in Excel and GIS formats.
- Emissions - Detailed Road Transport - Major Roads - Excel (.ZIP - 340.2KB)
- Emissions - Detailed Road Transport - Minor Roads & Cold Start - Excel (.ZIP - 25.8KB)
- Emissions - Detailed Road Transport - GIS (.ZIP - 436.9KB)
Concentrations This dataset includes modelled 2016 ground level concentrations of annual mean NOx, NO2, PM10 and PM2.5 in µg/m3 (microgramme per cubic metre) at 20m grid resolution. For PM10, it also includes the number of daily means exceeding 50 µg/m3.Data are provided in Excel, GIS and PDF formats.
- Concentrations - Data - ASCII Files (.ZIP - 86.4MB)
- Concentrations - Data - Excel Files (.ZIP - 139.2MB)
- Concentrations - Maps - PDF Files (.ZIP - 10.9MB). Update 03/04/19 - Note that the map of PM 2.5 annual mean concentrations for 2016 has been added to the zip file.
- Concentrations - Data - GIS Files (.ZIP - 126.4MB). Includes GIS files in ESRI format to visualise the concentrations in a GIS software (ArcGIS).
Population Exposure This dataset includes estimations of the number of Londoners and number of schools in London exposed to an annual average NO2 concentration above the Air Quality Strategy objective of 40µg/m3, based on the modelled 2016 ground level concentrations. A comparison with previous 2013 concentrations modelled for the LAEI 2013 inventory is also provided.
- NO2 Population Exposure (.XLSX - 25KB)
- NO2 and PM2.5 School Exposure (.XLSX - 269KB)
Request Access to London Atmospheric Emissions Inventory (LAEI) 2016
You must be logged in to request access to this dataset.