Labour market update for London – July 2022
Alongside the summary of key points below, you can find the interactive web-based version of our London labour market update on the London Datastore here.
To complement our London-level update, you can also find:
- the more in-depth analysis of Claimant Count data for London boroughs here;
- a new analysis of online job postings data, to be updated quarterly, here.
Previous updates and other labour market analyses are also available.
- The most timely estimate of payrolled employees shows an increase of around 7,120, or 0.2%, in London between May and June 2022 and was 1.1% above pre-pandemic (February 2020) levels.
- The employment rate in London was estimated at 75.4% for the three months ending May 2022, down 0.3 percentage points (pp) on the previous quarter and up 0.8pp on the same period in the previous year. London’s employment rate was lower than the UK average (75.9%).
- The unemployment rate was unchanged but still higher than the UK average. London’s unemployment rate was estimated at 4.6%, unchanged on the quarter and down 1.9pp from a year earlier. The UK average was 3.8%.
- London’s inactivity rate (the measure of those not looking and/or not available to work) was estimated at 20.7%. This was up 0.6pp on the previous year and up 0.3pp on the previous quarter but remained lower than the UK-wide estimate of 21.1%.