Labour market update for London – August 2022
Alongside the summary of key points, you can find the interactive web-based version of our London labour market update on the London Datastore here.
To complement our London-level update, you can also find:
- The in-depth analysis of Claimant Count data for London boroughs here.
Previous updates and other labour market analyses are also available.
- The most timely estimate of payrolled employees shows an increase of around 16,100, or 0.4%, in London between June and July 2022 – 1.6% above pre-pandemic (February 2020) levels.
- The employment rate in London was estimated at 74.9% for the three months ending June 2022, down 0.3 percentage points (pp) on the previous quarter and up 0.1pp on the same period in the previous year. London’s employment rate was lower than the UK average (75.5%).
- The unemployment rate continued to fall from its pandemic peak but was still higher than the UK average. London’s unemployment rate was estimated at 4.6%, down 0.1pp on the quarter and down 1.8pp from a year earlier. The UK average was 3.8%.
- London’s inactivity rate (the measure of those not looking and/or not available to work) was estimated at 21.3%. This was up 1.2pp on the previous year and up 0.3pp on the previous quarter but remained lower than the UK-wide estimate of 21.4%.