The next Census in England and Wales will be in 2021. The ONS has set up the Census Transformation Programme (CTP) to deliver the 2021 Census and to ensure the best use of all available data on population and households, for both 2021 and beyond.
Census Transformation Programme
The Census Transformation Programme comprises three major strands of concurrent work:
- An online census: The programme will provide an online census of all households and communal establishments in England and Wales in 2021. This will look at how ONS will run the 2021 Census data collection operation and its coverage survey (including the address register, field force, online/paper data collection, public support and enumeration of communal establishments).
- Administrative data: The programme will increase the use of administrative data and surveys in order to enhance the statistics from the 2021 Census and improve annual statistics between censuses. This will look at how to integrate census, administrative and survey data to provide and disseminate census outputs.
- Plans beyond 2021: The programme will decide how to provide these statistics after the 2021 Census.
The CIS and the Census Transformation Programme
The CIS is working with ONS to ensure that the Census Transformation Programme will deliver the outputs to meet London’s unique data needs. In particular:
- To identify and track change in numbers and characteristics of the population in general and the units in which they live,
- To identify similarities and differences between areas in terms of the characteristics of the people living and working in those areas,
- To identify where vulnerable groups and individuals are likely to be found.
Full details of the Beyond 2011 programme can be found on the ONS website.
If you would like to know more about the CIS response to the Beyond 2011 programme or are a data user who wishes to contribute to the London Statement please contact email@example.com.